I’ve been craving chocolate cake with strawberry icing all week. Despite my love for chocolate, I am not a big cake fan. Nor do I really like icing. I think I’ve always been that kid who pushed their birthday cake around the plate instead of eating it (the years of pictures with icing smeared all over my face may tell otherwise). But for some reason I just can’t stop thinking about the combination of chocolate and strawberries. Maybe I’m still in the Valentine’s mood? Who knows.
Since I’m not a big cake maker I didn’t mess around with the basic recipe for this cake, which comes from Sally’s Baking Addiction. This cake is moist and fudge-y and ultra chocolaty- the three things that convince me that maybe chocolate cake isn’t so bad after all. Although nothing can compare to my family’s Chocolate Zucchini cake, this is a close second. I’ll let you make your way over to her blog and check out the recipe, since I have nothing to contribute to it. But I’ll just say this one thing: this is the most MOIST cake you will ever try. Three days later and the cake has been sitting in the fridge… somehow becoming even fudgier over time. So if you’re craving the perfect chocolate cake, this recipe is a must.
However, I DID create the strawberry cream cheese frosting on my own. I hate frosting. I think buttercream is gross and too sweet. And I think I’ve made this too sweet as well, and in my quest to make it as strawberry flavoured as possible, I also had to keep thickening it up with icing sugar. I did look around for a recipe but I wasn’t happy with what I found. Obviously if you aren’t an alien like me and enjoy sweet frosting then this is the recipe for you. If you hail from a galaxy far away and don’t enjoy sweet frosting, add slightly less icing sugar and strawberries.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 115 grams of unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 225 grams full fat cream cheese (8 oz)
- 4 1/2 cups of icing sugar, sifted
- 6 large strawberries
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Puree the strawberries in a food processor or blender. I added a couple of splashes of water to help the process along but if you have a decent food processor (I don’t), it shouldn’t be an issue. Set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. I used a hand mixer (this was a mistake but I am lazy and the bowl of my stand mixer was still a mess from the cake batter). Light and fluffy is crucial to decent icing- I’ve learned this the hard way!
- Add cream cheese and mix until well blended.
- Slowly add in half the icing sugar and mix.
- Add 3 tbsp of the strawberry puree and vanilla and mix in by hand with a spatula
- Mix in another cup of the icing sugar, followed by another 3 tbsp of the puree with whatever mixer you have. I’d always recommend hand mixing the icing sugar in for a few turns unless you appreciate your kitchen covered in fine white sugar. Add remaining icing sugar until desired thickness. It should be stiff!